The National Bank oversees the integration of international ethical, social, and environmental initiatives into its business and adheres to best practices in implementing their principles, to guarantee an integral contribution towards developing the Palestinian society
United Nations Global Compact
In 2013, The National Bank was proud to join the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) initiative for business and become a signatory to the UNGC´s universally accepted ten principles for human rights, labor, environment and anti-corruption. The National Bank integrated these principles into its day-to-day operations and has since designed a variety of responsible and sustainable lending products to match the diverse and evolving needs of the Palestinian society.
The ten principles are:
- Principle 1: Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
- Principle 2: make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Principle 3: Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- Principle 4: the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labor;
- Principle 5: the effective abolition of child labor; and
- Principle 6: the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Principle 7: Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- Principle 8: undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- Principle 9: encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Principle 10: Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
The Women's Empowerment Principles (WEPs)
Ever since inception, The National Bank focuses on gender equality through its unique programs, enabling women to be self-dependent and productive members of the Palestinian society. In the year 2015, The National Bank has signed the Women Empowerment Principles which is a joint initiative of the United Nations Global Compact.
The seven principles:
- Principle 1: Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality
- Principle 2: Treat all women and men fairly at work – respect and support human rights and nondiscrimination
- Principle 3: Ensure the health, safety and well-being of all women and men workers
- Principle 4: Promote education, training, and professional development for women
- Principle 5: Implement enterprise development, supply chain and marketing practices that empower women
- Principle 6: Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy
- Principle 7: Measure and publicly report on progress to achieve gender equality
OPIC Environmental and Social policy
The National Bank is proud to be the first bank in Palestine to adopt and implement OPIC’s Social and Environmental policy. To ensure the best implementation, The National Bank has built a strict monitoring system to track its investments and projects adhering to the policy’s principles on compliance with law, human rights, gender equality and women’s empowerment, labour right, protection of natural habitats, conservation of biological diversity, climate change, pollution prevention and resource efficiency, public health, physical and cultural heritage and the protection of agricultural lands and soil conservation.