Who We Are
The National Bank, listed on the Palestine Securities Exchange, under ticker symbol "TNB", is the second largest Palestinian banking group and the fastest growing in the country. The National Bank is one of the country’s most trusted providers of comprehensive financial services for the corporate, retail, investment and microfinance sectors. Due to its big influence on the performance of the Palestinian banking sector, The National Bank is classified as a systemically important financial institution by the Palestine Monetary Authority (PMA).
At The National Bank, our motto is “Confidently Forward.” Our in-depth regional market acumen allows us to deliver stability and global best practices, making us Palestine’s modern banking alternative for clients seeking reliable, world-class financial services.
With over 9,000 shareholders, The National Bank commands the largest shareholder base within the Palestinian banking sector and attracts the most respected and successful companies and businesspersons to its board.
With a paid-up capital of $92 and an authorized capital of $100 million, The National Bank has executed the highest number of successful M&A transactions in the Palestinian banking sector; in 2015, and in a groundbreaking transaction, The National Bank acquired Bank al Etihad’s operations in Palestine to become the first Palestinian bank on record to acquire a Jordanian bank. In 2018, The National bank led a consortium acquiring a majority stake in the Palestinian Islamic Bank (PIB), in the largest transaction in the history of Palestine Stock Exchange. Recently, the bank has acquired the operations of the Jordan Commercial Bank (JCB) in Palestine.
The National Bank operates through 35 branches and offices throughout the West Bank and Jerusalem, and champions progressive digital offerings including e-banking, mobile banking, the digital service center and a well-positioned network of ATMs. The National Bank was the leader to inaugurate a Palestinian branch inside Jerusalem after the absence of the Palestinian banking operations in the city for more than 50 years.
Our mission is to be the national alternative for Palestinians who seek a sound, modern and superior financial services provider.
To maintain our leading position as one of Palestine’s leading financial services institutions.
- To meet the return expectations of our shareholders, while preserving the interests of our stakeholders.
- To provide premium quality financial services to our clients through a better understanding of their needs and preferences.
- To best meet the full needs of our clients and customers.
- To be the leader in providing innovative solutions and technological applications.
- To reinforce gender equality in the workplace, through our banking products and services and through our community initiatives.
- To create a healthy working environment that motivates and encourages loyalty, ethics and innovation.
- To reflect our strong national identity through communication and interaction within the society through our sustainable corporate social responsibility (CSR) program.
Born from a merger between Al Rafah Microfinance Bank and the Arab Palestinian Investment Bank in 2012, The National Bank has progressively transformed itself from a microfinance banking institution to a universal banking solutions and premium corporate, retail and investment banking services provider. Since operation, the Bank has consistently experienced strong growth year on year. To support its rapid progress, The National Bank upgraded its core banking system in 2014 to the market-leading, innovative and technologically-advanced platform, Temenos T24. This platform was designed to enhance the Bank’s competitive position and provide greater long-term value for clients by delivering a more responsible and agile service through rigorous execution. The National Bank has maintained its history of strong performance to achieve an over 80% average annual growth in deposits and credit facilities, high levels of liquidity (loan to deposit ratio) and a robust 17.91% capital adequacy ratio.
The National Bank is committed to excellence and has won numerous awards, including:
- The Fastest Growing Bank in Palestine Award by CPI Financial/Banker Middle East, 2014, 2016 and 2017.
- The Best Female Empowerment Bank, CPI Financial/ Banker Middle East, 2017.
- The Innovation Award for Empowering Women Economically, Union of Arab Banks, 2017.
- Best Treasury Management in Palestine Award, CPI Financial/ Banker Middle East, 2015.
- Most Innovative Bank in Palestine Award, The International Finance Magazine, 2019.
- Aman's Transparency and Integrity Award, 2012
Compliance and Regulations
To maintain the highest levels of transparency and compliance in accordance with international and regional standards, as well as the governance procedures and regulations as stipulated by the Palestine Monetary Authority, The National Bank conducts periodic audits, commits to strict performance covenants and has built a robust compliance system. It has also implemented international policies regarding Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Combating Terrorist Financing (CTF) and Know Your Customer (KYC). As a result, the Bank is regularly acknowledged by the regulator and has fostered strong relationships with several international and foreign government agencies, such as the International Finance Corporation (IFC), USAID, Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC), Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KFW), and the French and Italian governments. The National Bank’s reputation for compliance has also facilitated its growing network of correspondents and partnerships which include Commerzbank, BNY Mellon, Saxo Bank and MasterCard.
TNB Governance Guide